We've always known Spokane's a great place to live (we have our own selfish reasons), but actually Spokane's a great place for your business and career...at least Forbe's thinks so. Forbe's, one of the ultimate aggregators of arbitrary "Best of" lists has once again released it's Best Places for Business and Careers and in doing so has anointed Spokane as #9. Yes #9 - there's no '0' missing, and that's up from #20 last year. But hey, compared to 2000 (#159) and 2003 (#100) we'll take it.
The listmakers looked at multiple categories to come up with their rankings which included:
- Five-year historical job growth
- Five-year historical income growth
- Migration trends
- A business cost index consisting of a mix: labor, tax, energy, office space costs
- A living cost index consisting of housing, transportation, food, etc.
Boise still reigns at #2, Seattle was below us at #20, and Portland at #35 - our cost of doing business and job growth were big factors.
- 2008 - Forbes Best Places for Business and Careers Index [Forbes.com]
- Apparently Forbes loves Spokane [metrospokane]
- Forbes points to Spokane...again [metrospokane]