Did you know that by 2020 passenger levels at Spokane International Airport are projected to double from 1.7 million to 3.3 million? That's huge! In order to handle that growth, back in 2000 a new Airport Master Plan was developed and resulted in a number of recommendations that focused on Terminal Improvements. These included:
- Add approx. 12 new aircraft gates to enhance competition through expansion of Concourse C.
- Expand the Air Carrier Apron to allow for additional aircraft parking.
- Expand the automobile parking facilities (either garage or surface).
- Improve the surface access system to increase safety and eliminate congestion.
- Improve intersections through grade-separation, signalization or other methods.
- Provide for potential development of light rail or other mass transit access to the airport.
- Improve capacity for commercial users (e.g. rental car companies, taxis, etc.).
That first item is seen above in bright yellow and compared to the existing old terminal (red) it's a big'un. Of course that means a sweet new 13,000' x 150' runway [RFQ/RFP-PDF] to service it. Just last year the largest and newest air traffic tower in Washington went up and now the RENT-A-CAR Renovation [RFQ/RFP-PDF] is out for bid and should be completed by October 1, 2008.