Via the Sightline Institute we learned of a great new Google Maps mashup that analyzes (albeit loosely) how walkable your neighborhood is. Using walkscore.com, punch in an address and it calculates a score based on the services available to and within proximity of your address.
Not perfect considering it doesn't take into account the nature of a street (sidewalks, curbside parking, traffic speeds, etc), but a thought provoking mashup nevertheless. For fun we entered a few addresses to see how well it calculated walkability here in Spokane. Take a gander. There are some interesting comparisons...
- West College Avenue (West Central)
- South Chestnut St. (Browne's Addition)
- South Moran View (Eagle Ridge)
- West 23rd Avenue (Manito Park)
- West Lacey (Hillyard)
- North Forest Blvd (Indian Trail
List your neighborhood score in the comments below.